Friday, April 4, 2014

News: Rogue Alcoholic Court Reporter Kept Writing "I Hate My Job"

I would hate that job, too. Court makes me nervous. From the New York Post.
Rogue Alcoholic Court Reporter Kept Writing "I Hate My Job"

An alcoholic Manhattan court stenographer went rogue, channeling his inner “Shining” during a high-profile criminal trial and repeatedly typing, “I hate my job, I hate my job” instead of the trial dialogue, sources told The Post.

The bizarre antics by Daniel Kochanski, who has since been fired, wreaked havoc on some 30 Manhattan court cases, sources said, and now officials are scrambling to repair the damage.

One high-level source said his “gibberish” typing may have jeopardized hard-won convictions by giving criminals the chance to claim crucial evidence is missing.

Kochanski’s botched transcripts include the 2010 mortgage-fraud trial of Aaron Hand, who was also convicted of trying to hire a hit man to take out a witness against him.

A source familiar with the case said Kochanski’s transcripts of that trial were a total mess.

“It should have been questions and answers — instead it was gibberish,” the source said.

(continued)

4 comments:

  1. I don't understand how this could go on so long. Are there no checks and balances in place? What an archaic (and clearly dysfunctional) system. I really hate it when scum goes free on a technicality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wild. It would have been easier, and he would have saved himself a lot of time and trouble if he had just turned in his resignation. It seems like he would have known he would get fired for doing that. O.o

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost became a court reporter. Had the shorthand machine and everything, but the school was too far from where I lived and finances were an issue, so I sold the machine and books and moved on. Sounds like I dodged a bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like he should have gotten into more trouble than getting fired for that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails