Monday, March 17, 2014

Ten 45s I Owned As A Child And Why

So my taste was a bit eclectic. I was 10.

I don't know why I liked this song, but I did. Now it annoys the shit out of me.

This one I inherited from my parents, who loved Ike & Tina. Such a great call-and-response tune. My sister and I used to lip-sync it for my folks and they would laugh like hell.

Billy f**king Jack. I wasn't allowed to see the movie so I got this corny-ass record, which I loved at the time. I did finally see the movie years later. All I can say is, you gotta love an anti-war film when the protagonist beats the shit out of everybody.

Another Christmas gift that I requested. It was a strange choice, but then, I was always a little bit weird. I probably wanted it because the "The Streak" was so huge. Can't listen to it now, though. I cannot abide the sound of a banjo.

Another odd choice. I heard this song the other day on Sirius XM. Zzzzzz.

I loved this creepy ditty. Didn't know at the time it was written by Alan "Undercover Angel" O'Day. Al had a dark side, it would seem. I thought Helen Reddy was hot.

Every kid I knew owned this 45. If you didn't, you were a big fat loser. This was COMEDY GOLD, people--and timely, as streaking was just becoming popular in the mid-70s.

I wore this one out. I was a nerd. I had no idea it was about losing your virginity. If someone had told me, I would have said, "What's virginity?" and then things would have turned awkward in a hurry.

Best song on the list. Inherited from my parents. I'm glad they liked black people music better than shit like Bread or The Lettermen.

Epic is right. Still a kick-ass tune. I remember a friend of mine throwing an atomic conniption fit at Christmas because he asked for this 45 but got "Rubber Band Man" instead. Can you blame him?

10 comments:

  1. Great collection, Cary! I had a few of those, too. Definitely Wild Cherry, Ike and Tina, and The Doobie Brothers. (My brother had ALL of Ray Stevens' records.) And Billy Jack, OMG. He's an iconic figure at our house. :)
    I can't believe "December, 1963" was about losing your virginity! I used to sing that one in the backyard at full volume. *mind blown*

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my best birthday presents (maybe 8th?) was from my next door neighbor, who gave me a stack of 45's which included KC and The Sunshine Band "I'm Your Boogie Man", ABBA (Can't remember which) and Leo Sayer "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing." BEST BIRTHDAY EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I had? Freakin' "Pac Man Fever." I also wore out a copy of Anne Murray's "You Needed Me" by playing it over and over. I would sob the whole time. "So high that I could almost see eternity..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom had a bunch of 45's, but I don't remember us kids owning more than maybe one or two. One my mom had that I remember playing was "Wake Up Little Susie" by the Everly Brothers. I remember my sister had "Hey Jude" by the Beatles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh, this makes me want to get my box of 45s from my mom's house. I had mostly 80s singles....Madonna, Eddie Grant, Starship, Wham!, etc. But my favorites were my mom's Beatles, Wings, and Bette Midler records. I wore her version of Delta Dawn out! I would sing with her at the top of my lungs. Goooood times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Melzer. We had Helen Reddy's greatest hits LP and wore it out! Delta Dawn was a favorite.

      Delete
  6. I used to babysit to earn money to buy records. One of these days I need to see if I still have any of them around. Yours are all recognizable! I probably had a few of them. Music was everything to us back then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take that back about Bread, mister! *cries, with snot* TAKE IT BACK!! David Gates was a musical genius... *wails*
    See my comment in the GR for a partial list of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a lot of these, including 'Play That Funky Music.' I also had a few Barry Manilow songs for some reason, namely 'Looks Like We Made It,' 'I Write the Songs,' and 'Ships that Pass in the Night.' God, what was wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My list of music at age 10 would comprise an embarrassing prefab kid band that some people still like in their 30's and 40's and is played in every single wedding, over-dramatic power balladeers and Madonna. Then Pearl Jam occurred at age 12 and I never looked back.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails