Monday, February 3, 2014

Random Celebrity Encounters Of The Day, Vol. 2

More stories from the Tumblr blog Did I Tell You About The Time....


GEORGE HARRISON SIGNED MY MATE'S BEATLES LP
A friend of mine was in Japan in 1991 and saw George Harrison at his hotel. So he went out and bought a Beatles LP and waited in the foyer trying to look casual. Harrison came back in after few hours and my mate got him to sign the record. Harrison signed all four Beatles’ names, despite Lennon being long dead, and my friend was too confused to say anything to him before he went into the elevator.

I MISTOOK BLOC PARTY FOR HIPSTERS
Before a Bloc Party show, my husband and I walked a couple of blocks from the venue for food.  A group of guys walking toward us were dressed achingly hip.  I turned to my husband and said, “Look at these guys in their stupid hipster clothes.  I bet they’re dressed up for the show.” At the concert, I found out the guys were Bloc Party.

I HAD PIZZA WITH ICE-T
In 2003, I was having an argument with my now ex-wife in a NYC pizza shop when Ice-T and CoCo came in for a slice. He was telling her about a new project he was working on. He was excited, kid-like. I stopped arguing with the now ex to say hi to Ice T. He switched on his gangster persona and signed my NYC guide book. Book signed, tourist (me) away from his table, and he was back to plain old Tracy Lauren Marrow just talking with his wife.

I MET GEORGE CLINTON IN AN ELEVATOR WHEN I WAS SIX
I was staying in a hotel in Washington D.C. on a family vacation when I was 6. Mom allowed me to go down a floor to get ice from the ice machine and I saw George Clinton with two Nation of Islam body guards in the elevator. I knew it was him because PCU was running on Comedy Central. I said, “You’re George Clinton”. The two body guards laughed hysterically because I was a doe eyed, tiny white kid. George replied, “Damn Right”.

I DID NOT TAKE A PHOTO OF LENNY KRAVITZ
I meant to take a picture of Lenny Kravitz but accidentally took a picture of me and my buddy looking all excited because we saw Lenny Kravitz. Because sometimes your phone does that thing when the camera is flipped because you wanna take a selfie.

I DISAPPOINTED JANET JACKSON
I was working at the Chanel cosmetics counter when I got a call from security saying Janet Jackson was in the store and was coming my way. I was told not to fawn over her or ask for an autograph. She approached my counter and I smiled and asked how I could help her. She took out a list of some makeup she needed….and we were out of stock on nearly every item she wanted. As I searched in vain and broke out in a flop sweat, I told her I would look back in the stock room. She sighed and said okay. When I came back, she was gone.

I SOLD MORRISSEY FACE CREAM
I sold Morrissey some very expensive face cream at a store in Minneapolis. I was about to tell him how much I loved him, but as I started to open my mouth, he pulled his knit cap down over his head, and scurried away.

I CAUGHT A LIFT DOWN WITH ELVIS COSTELLO
I cant remember who else was in the lift but he said in a monotone voice - ‘there will be bloodshed in the lobby’. There was no bloodshed, just some Attractions and assorted others.

I TOLD PAUL McCARTNEY HE HAD A COOL BELT
I was eating at a hotel when Paul McCartney and his daughter, Beatrice, and I think it was Heather Mills, came in and ordered breakfast. Beatrice was wearing a ballerina outfit and crawling under my chair, pretending to be a cat. Paul got slightly irritated and took her back to his table, apologizing profusely, while all I thought was Hey it’s Paul McCartney say hi say hi say hi, and so I opened my mouth and said, “Nice belt,” because it was embroidered with teddy bears and guitars. He looked at me strangely and nodded.

I BEGGED A TEN-NOTE OFF BILL WYMAN
One time in my life I was unfortunate enough to be homeless in London. I begged a tenner off Bill Wyman, which he signed. He said “One day that will be worth something.”  It was. I bought cider and cigarettes with it to the value of £10.


14 comments:

  1. I've had many celeb encounters but nothing will top the randomness of sharing a pot brownie with Jim J. Bullock at a party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad accidentally burned a hole in Bill Cosby's jacket with a cigarette. He wasn't sorry, either, because Cosby was being a bitch to a woman asking for an autograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lenny Kravitz/phone selfie story made me laugh.

    Not much in the way of celebrity encounters for me except I once got a kiss from Harry Chapin after seeing him in concert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chatted up George Benson at the 'umalu bar in the Hyatt Regency Kaanapali. He was playing that night at the hotel, so I brought my "Give me the night" CD just in case I ran into him! He was with his band mates, so when the drummer got up who was sitting next to him, I slid in and introduced myself. He was incredibly gracious and signed my CD. Always ask an artist what they are currently working on. I did, and we chatted for 20 minutes. Even sang a verse of "Love remembers" with George when he was trying to familiarize me with the song they were recording that day!!! Also, Downtown Freddy Brown was my golfing partner from 1989-1996. He is also a great guy. We took lot's of money from his attorney who's office was next to mine in Seattle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made Dave Matthews of DMB a sandwich when he came into a non fast food restaurant I worked in. We had to wear our own hats, and mine was a blues style cowboy hat. I topped it with a Jamaican colored rasta beanie. Maybe that's why he starred me down. Could've been because he was wasted too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sat down with the Gin Blossoms after a concert and asked them if I could hitch a ride back to Arizona with them. The lead guy got all eye-rolly with me as if to say, "get in line, honey" until I explained that I really wanted to get back there to visit my then-boyfriend. He got instantly indignant and shooed me away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister and I were out for dinner a few weeks ago in Broadbeach, Australia. We had a drink in a bar while waiting, and a scruffy group of guys sat at the next table. Heard British accents, and realised it was Liam Gallagher and his new band, who were in town for the Big Day Out festival. They borrowed one of our barstools.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have had several celebrity encounters because I tend to be a stalker, but while living in south FL, met Dave Barry twice and got autograph. I was overjoyed to be attending a performance of the Rock Bottom Remainders for a charity event, and ran into Dave Barry again. I was so freaking out because I asked him to introduce me to my all-time favorite author, Stephen King, but he declined. Shortly thereafter, I saw SK going out a side door to the alley, and I went out chasing after him yelling "Mr. King! Mr. King!" but he ducked into a vehicle and took off. I always joke that I'm SK's "biggest fan" like in Misery.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ran into Tony Shaloub (Monk) in a hotel in NYC. We were both putting our luggage in storage. I realized it was him, whispered it to my husband, and said "My kids loved you in "Spy Kids." He said "Hmmm. Yes." It was awkward as hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remembered my grandmother and I saw Danny Thomas in the Denver airport. She said "I know who you are!" He said "And I know who you are." which I thought was weird even as a teenager.

      Delete
    2. Actually, Karen, that seems funny to me, not creepy.

      Delete
  10. Bonnie Raitt bought some random item from the boutique I was working in at the time -- and she short-changed me a buck.

    Before my best friend and I met, each of us had met and gotten autographs from Edward James Olmos at different events/times.

    Random celebrity NON-encounter: Martin Landau was in town filming a movie when I was working at a video store. He came into the store on three separate occasions, and each time I wasn't working but my manager was (the final time I'd missed him by about 15 minutes). It became a running joke between the three of us, and though I never did get to meet him, my manager was cool enough to print up a pic of him and have him sign it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are you, Brother Herbert? Do I know you by another name?

      Delete
    2. I used to occasionally comment as "roger" but then your blog stopped allowing replies using just a name, so now I use my Google handle.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails