Tuesday, April 23, 2013

News: Teachers banned from using red ink to grade tests because it "upsets kids"

From the Telegraph (UK).
Teachers told they must not use red ink for marking homework in case it upsets pupils

22 April 2013

Teachers at a secondary school in London have been told they must not use red ink when marking homework in case it upsets pupils.

The move was condemned as "political correctness gone wild" and ministers were forced to deny the Government issues guidelines on the colour of teachers' pens.

Tory MP Bob Blackman took his concerns to parliament after a teacher in his Harrow East constituency informed him the secondary school had banned staff from using red ink.

He told
MailOnline: "A teacher contacted me and said I cannot believe I have been instructed by my head to mark children’s homework in particular colours and not to use certain colours.

"It is all about not wanting to discourage youngsters if their work is marked wrong.

"It sounds to me like some petty edict which is nonsense. It is absolutely political correctness gone wild.

(Read more)


  1. Poor little pussies, um I mean, darlings.

  2. Oh my word! Such lunacy! I wonder what color of ink is acceptable. Next they will say they can't give any grade lower than an A because it would upset the kids! Hahaha!

  3. What's going to become of these precious over-protected darlings when something really upsetting happens in their world? Just madness run amuck! OMG!

  4. It's on the red ink that's the problem, folks. It's the fact that all these precious little snowflakes are told they are less than fabulous and capable of achieving their dreams. Their little self-esteems, so fragile and the product of severe helicopter parenting, just can't take the notion that they need some form of correction.

    I'm willing to bet that most of the parents in this school are going, "Oh, for fuck's sake...use whatever fucking colour you want for the swotty little bastards. It's why I bloody send them to school and not to some fucking prep school! Gordon Bennett..."

    I really should get a Master's in British Swearing...

  5. It's not just for kids. The last editorial job I did (a couple of months ago) I was asked NOT to highlight corrections and changes in red -- blue was "more kind." M'kay. Weenies.



Related Posts with Thumbnails