Thursday, January 5, 2012

News Of The Day: 18-Year-Old Widow Shoots Intruder

His last words: "Hey, this looks like a good house to rob."

From ABC News.

Okla. Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder: 911 Operators Say It's OK to Shoot

A young Oklahoma mother shot and killed an intruder to protect her 3-month-old baby on New Year's Eve, less than a week after the baby's father died of cancer.

Sarah McKinley says that a week earlier a man named Justin Martin dropped by on the day of her husband's funeral, claiming that he was a neighbor who wanted to say hello. The 18-year-old Oklahoma City area woman did not let him into her home that day.

On New Year's Eve Martin returned with another man, Dustin Stewart, and this time was armed with a 12-inch hunting knife. The two soon began trying to break into McKinley's home.

As one of the men was going from door to door outside her home trying to gain entry, McKinley called 911 and grabbed her 12-gauge shotgun.

McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO that she quickly got her 12 gauge, went into her bedroom and got a pistol, put the bottle in the baby's mouth and called 911.

"I've got two guns in my hand -- is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" the young mother asked the 911 dispatcher. "I'm here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?"

The 911 dispatcher confirmed with McKinley that the doors to her home were locked as she asked again if it was okay to shoot the intruder if he were to come through her door.

"I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told her. McKinley was on the phone with 911 for a total of 21 minutes.

When Martin kicked in the door and came after her with the knife, the teen mom shot and killed the 24-year-old. Police are calling the shooting justified.

"You're allowed to shoot an unauthorized person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force," Det. Dan Huff of the Blanchard police said.

Stewart soon turned himself in to police.

McKinley said that she was at home alone with her newborn that night because her husband just died of cancer on Christmas Day.

"I wouldn't have done it, but it was my son," McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO.

"It's not an easy decision to make, but it was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn't going to be my son. There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child."


  1. Man, he so deserved what he got. I hope she doesn't lose any sleep over it.

  2. I agree. On CNN she said that she knew the guy, who had been stalking her and was an oxycontin fiend, so they were probably looking for drugs, too.

  3. She was on the phone for 21 minutes with 911 while those two were outside trying to get into her home. I imagine that felt like a very long time to her alone with her baby inside that house and feeling threatened.

    Captions for mugshot of the day and portrait of the day today both made me laugh. :-)

  4. 21 minutes! Where the hell were the police?!? This poor woman has to live with that image burned into her psyche for the rest of her life. That's a horrible thing to have to live with. Justification won't stop the nightmares.

    Prairie Girl.

  5. One article stated there are only three deputies to cover the entire county she lives in. How many of those deputies are on duty at one time, I don't know. Also, she was on a cell phone which made it hard to pinpoint her exact location.

  6. That poor 18-year-old mother has already experienced a lifetime's worth of tragedy. I hope she knows she did the right thing and isn't too traumatized. Her baby is very lucky to have such a strong mama.

  7. Big, tough knifey-guy got what he deserved. I hope Mom puts this behind her quickly, she did what she had to do.

  8. She was married to a man 40 years her senior. She's one tough cookie.

  9. Guess no one ever told "Knifey McRobberson" not to mess with a momma bear.

    Her and her kid are the only ones I feel bad for in this situation.

  10. Mr Knifey McRobberson should've known better than to faff with a woman who's still awash in post-birth hormones. I tell you, there were times I could've gladly ripped out random throats and not blinked when I was swinging through post-partum like that. Not saying that's WHY, she did it, only that it probably gave her more confidence and less hesitation.

    BTW, not to sound all show-offy, but this exact scenario in England would end with Mama being hauled off to the local police station for using a gun and potentially violating the rights of the intruder. I wish I were kidding here.

  11. These two guys weren't there to rob her. They were there to probably kidnap her, and do awful things to her for a very long time (remember the two freaks here in the Bay Area? With their little torture chamber/women slaves?). Good for her. As for having to live with terrible images, I disagree. The image I would take away is that I saved my child and myself, while ridding the world of garbage. Sweet dreams, for sure!

  12. They should give her a medal. Too bad she didn't get the othe one too!



Related Posts with Thumbnails