Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The 8 Scariest Places On Earth

They forgot three: my daughter's bathroom, my mother-in-law's dinner table, and Whoopi Goldberg's underpants.

From US News.

The Paris Catacombs

Sixty feet beneath the city of Paris, France you'll find the Paris Catacombs, an underground crypt said to contain the exhumed remains of an estimated six million Parisians. Yes, exhumed: when the city became overpopulated by dead bodies, the government dug them up and dumped the skeletons in centuries-old stone quarries on the then-outskirts of town. But they didn't stop there; they actually "decorated" some of the walls with stacked bones and skulls. Recent travelers say Les Catacombes de Paris aren't for the faint-of-heart or for the claustrophobic, and some say they're not for young children either.

The Stanley Hotel

While staying in the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado -- room #217, to be exact -- Stephen King was inspired to write what would become a cult classic, The Shining. Those prone to any kind of runaway imagination could scare themselves stiff staying at the Stanley, but the hotel's real ghosts are more than willing to frighten. The Billiards Room, the Ballroom and Room 407, in particular, are known for sheltering apparitions.

St. Louis Cathedral (New Orleans)

The St. Louis Cemetery #1 -- nestled on the outskirts of the French Quarter in New Orleans -- is the burial site of 19th-century Voodoo princess Marie Laveau, who is said to haunt the cemetery in several incarnations, one being a red-eyed black cat. Local lore says you should beware this black cat, or you could find yourself forever doing the bidding of this dead Voodoo Queen. Others say it's the ghost of her pet snake that appears.

Beechworth Lunatic Asylum

At Beechworth Lunatic Asylum (later known as Mayday Hills Hospital) in Victoria, Australia, patients checked in but few checked out. Eight signatures were required for a patient's discharge while only two were needed for admittance. Historians estimate upwards of 3,000 people -- some of whom didn't even need mental help -- died captive within its walls. Inside the facility, which opened in 1867, a number of atrocities occurred, ranging from exploited labor and neglect to abuse and inhumane medical treatments/experiments like the Darwin chair (where doctors would tie patients to revolving chairs and spin them so fast, they would bleed from their mouths, eyes, noses and ears). There are frequent ghost sightings, and not just of patients, but of doctors and nurses too.

See the rest at US News.


  1. The ghosts at the Stanley don't sound too scary. They just want to have a good time--shoot some pool, go dancing... :D

    The Beechworth Lunatic Asylum would be pretty scary, though, I think. I don't even want to imagine what all went on in there.

  2. Good list, but The Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs, AR is so scary that I just peed myself typing this comment.


    May have also poo'd a bit but it had nothing to do with the hotel.

  3. I didn't find the St. Louis Cementery scary at all, but maybe I was too anoyed by the buckteeth lady next to me who kept eating pizza and spitting and my companion bitching about everything.

  4. Insane asylums or state mental hospitals of any kind totally creep me out, so there is no way in hell I'd go into that Beechworth facility.

    But, if you want to see the most amazing photography of old abandoned asylums, prisons, hospitals and other buildings around the world, be sure and check out Urban Ruins.

    The Paris catacombs wouldn't scare me, but I do have a bit of claustrophobia, so I'd take a pass for that reason. Plus, it would be sad and disconcerting to see human remains relegated to nothing but anonymous stacks :(.

  5. I visited the Paris Catacombs last summer. Although a bit creepy, I didn't find it scary. Some of the hallways are small, but then they open into some quite large caverns at times. You go in one place and emerge about a mile away on a small side street!

    Yes, most of the bones are stacked - but if it is possible to do that "reverently", then they achieved that. It isn't a random pile!

    What is creepy is that every once and a while they have a "dressed" skeleton - usually a priest or bishop. Some are standing, some seated - as if they are holding court over the underworld ...

  6. PS: forgot to mention I took my teenage daughter with me. She wasn't scared either.

  7. I would probably do all of these except the asylum.

  8. We visited the asylum for a school trip. While it was still running as an asylum. I am not kidding. I still remember the piss on the floor.

  9. I don't "do" asylums. If I want to be around that much crazy I just go to family reunions.

    I love cemeteries. They aren't creepy to me at all. I used to live about 2 blocks from one when my kids were really little. I'd walk down there and sit with the dead people just to get some peace and quiet. And free flowers.

  10. Last September I spent the night at the Stanley with a friend. We did a ghost tour and slept on the 4th floor in a haunted room. We did have some experiences! Our door opened by itself twice, we smelled peppermint candy where there wasn't any, and the elevator opened by itself just for us. I also got some weird images on a couple pictures I took during the ghost tour. It was a fun time.

  11. smaugeJan 10, 2012 01:48 PM

    We visited the asylum for a school trip. While it was still running as an asylum. I am not kidding. I still remember the piss on the floor.

    The inmates, or yours?



Related Posts with Thumbnails