Monday, August 22, 2011

Vids Of The Day: Making Of The Shining

I only watched a few minutes of part one but it looks cool if you're into behind-the-scenes movie stuff. The first thing that struck me was Kubrick's American accent. All this time I assumed he was British since he lived in England.

Three parts, 32-ish minutes total. I have a feeling these won't last long on YouTube, so watch them while you can (or download them like I did).

Part 1 (better in a larger view on YouTube)

Part 2
Part 3


  1. I can't see part 1, only parts 2 and 3. Damn, seen this movie many times, would have loved to have caught the first part.

  2. Evil Twin's Much Older SisterAugust 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM

    My late husband was in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and loved telling stories about how Steven Spielberg got reactions from the cast for certain scenes, especially from little Cary Guffey. When my husband had to look amazed when he saw the Mother Ship, he was actually looking at a gaffer in a torn t-shirt, on a crane, drinking a Pepsi. All this in a dirigible hangar in Mobile, AL, in the middle of summer.

  3. Cool, ETMOS! I just got Close Encounters on Bluray and have been going through the extras.

  4. I have Part One saved. E-mail me if you want to see it.

  5. Evil Twin's Much Older SisterAugust 22, 2011 at 6:38 PM

    Lefty - his role was Jean-Claude, who played the five notes on the synthesizer that brought that Mother -- Ship in. He went to Mobile to install the synthesizer for the movie (he worked at ARP Instruments) and Spielberg asked him to play the part. He was 25 when he did the movie. I didn't meet him until 10 years later.

  6. Lefty, are the Blu-Ray extras better than the Special Edition DVD extras? I was a little underwhelmed. I suppose I could Google it, but why do that when I can talk to you instead?

  7. I think they're pretty similar. I just hadn't seen them in a while. The big extra was the look of the film in Hi-Def and you get all three versions of the film (theatrical, Special Edition, and Director's Cut). I'm sure there's not much difference betwixt them, but for $15, how could I go wrong?

  8. ETMOS- Nice! I'll look for him.



Related Posts with Thumbnails