Friday, April 15, 2011

Music Video Of The Day: Summer

A nice way to start your Friday. And mine.



This song takes me back... 2nd grade, living in Griffin, Georgia, walking home from Third Ward Elementary every day with my sister Gina. There was a group of bullies who used to harass us sometimes on the walk. My mom and dad told us to ignore them and we did, but that just made them more persistent.

One day the head bully grabbed the back of my sister's bike and wouldn't let go. The harder she tried to pedal, the tighter he held on. She started crying, the other boys laughed, and I took my beloved Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp metal lunchbox and slammed it over bike-grabber's head so hard that the thermos inside shattered. Everything went silent as he stood there for a second with a blank, shocked look on his face, which slowly began to contort until he let out a banshee wail and ran screaming up the street, his friends in tow. Then I started crying because I knew I would be in big trouble for 1) fighting and 2) breaking my second thermos in as many weeks.

I was wrong--I didn't get spanked or even yelled at, but commended for taking up for my sister. I also got a new lunchbox, because that one was pretty much shot. The punks never bothered us again; I don't even remember seeing them on our street after that. Maybe they found a new route to school.

Then that weekend I got to sleep over with my friend Scott Lindsey, who told me that women wore maxi-pads to muffle their farts. I believed this for at least a month until I asked my mom and she set me straight. After she stopped laughing, that is.

Ahh.. good times.

14 comments:

  1. I have always loved this song. Especially today when it's raining and storming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! You totally rock as a brother.
    And that damn Scott Lindsey, spreader of mis-information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *love* your stories. That was a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG... that is freakin' hilarious. And guess what? I am a fellow member of the "Clobbered a Bully Over the Head With a Metal Lunchbox" club! I don't quite remember what happened, or who I did it to (unfortunately, I was tortured after school by two different groups), but I do know I was pretty damn proud of myself when I finally did something about it. No, I didn't get in trouble, but the mother of the person I hit showed up at OUR house demanding an apology! My mother told her to shove it, I believe. Thanks, Mom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all.

    rider - awesome. Those metal lunchboxes made great weapons in a pinch, did they not? That was the only time I used mine because I loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful song and a wonderful story. Oh shit, I'm getting all weepy....NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lancelot Link, I remember watching that show on Saturdays. It was funny--monkeys as secret agents dressed up in costumes and all. I could never figure out how they got those monkeys to do all that stuff they did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice tunes. I haven't been on here in a while but remember another good tunage posting of Earth Wind and Fire a while back. Funny cuz I used to be a metalhead but I guess the 70's stuff was the foundation. I remember when our mom bought us the Wings 45 that had 'Someone's knocking at your door' and we thought that was cool. And I would sooo beat (with my Hot Wheels lunch box) the ass of anybody messing with my sister, even today. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lancelot Link lunchbox, sweet. Mine was Starsky and Hutch; my brother got the classic Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rocked a Space 1999 lunchbox when this song was out. It used plastic thermos technology to ensure warm milk by lunchtime. I can still recall the smell of stale chips wafting out of that box when it was opened.

    It's funny how you can fight like cats and dogs with your siblings, but the minute someone else tries to screw with them we get all hulk on their ass.

    So what are maxi-pads used for if not fart suppression? Don't leave me hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have spent a good portion of my always unproductive life trying to figure out exactly what the summer breeze was blowing through.

    However, this hasn't removed 'I Love A Rainy Night' from my brainpan this morning. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daisy said...

    I could never figure out how they got those monkeys to do all that stuff they did.


    Me either, but considering all the rumors about how they got Mr. Ed to "talk", I'd rather not know.

    Lefty said...

    So what are maxi-pads used for if not fart suppression? Don't leave me hanging!


    Seriously lefty? How did you ever get to your age without knowing about this?

    Girls wear maxi-pads cause they don't have balls and they need something to cushion their front parts when they sit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Aunt Flo is here and she brought me a box of fart mufflers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails