Monday, April 4, 2011

Best Fair Foods Of The Day

I love the state fair for two reasons:

1) Mullets




2) Food



It's hard to resist the corn dogs, funnel cakes and caramel apples (with nuts), even even when you know you'll end up sicker than Templeton the rat, ready to hork your guts out on the Tempest (see photo below), which is exactly what two drunk women did at the Griffin (GA) Fair one time when I was a kid. Every time the ride tilted our way, my sister and I had to lift our feet to avoid the boozy vomit cascading our way. Then the car would tilt the other way and off went the vomit, then back, then away, then back. That was fun.



Speaking of vomit, check out this nasty shit. I might try the bacon, but that's it. Okay, maybe the Krispy Kreme thing, but only one bite.

From LVGurl and Delish.com.

Hot Beef Sundae

(Iowa State Fair)

Touted as comfort food at its finest, the hot beef sundae is a generous helping of buttery mashed potatoes surrounded by slow-roasted roast beef and gravy, sprinkled with Cheddar cheese, and garnished with a cherry tomato. It may look like a sundae, but this baby is all Sunday dinner.

Pizza Cones

(Indiana State Fair)

This tidy, highly portable riff on the pizza slice consists of a cone-shaped pizza crust filled with cheese, pepperoni, sausage, and Red Gold® tomato sauce, all baked in an oven. And just like an ice cream cone, the cheesy treat comes wrapped in its own paper sleeve for on-the-go handheld ease.

Chicken Fried Bacon

(Texas State Fair)

This ode to bacon won the award for Best Taste at the 2008 Big Tex Choice Awards. Creator Glen Kusak had been a fair vendor for 12 years running, but 2008 marked his first year entering the annual State Fair of Texas food contest.

Krispy Kreme Chicken Sandwich

(California State Fair)

Who said Californians eat only healthy food? This artery-clogger features a fried chicken patty topped with Swiss cheese all tucked inside a sliced Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnut. To enhance the sweet-and-savory effect, the sandwich is served with a side of Smucker's honey sauce.

Fried Coca-Cola

(Texas State Fair)

Hold on to your hats, folks. Beverages have entered the deep-fried-delicacy ring. (We were scratching our heads, too.) Fried Coke is actually Coca-Cola-flavored batter that's been deep-fried and garnished with Coca-Cola syrup, whipped cream, and cinnamon-sugar. Abel Gonzales Jr. won Most Creative for this concoction at the 2006 State Fair of Texas.

Spaghetti and Meatball on a Stick

(Minnesota State Fair)

Ever the innovators of food on a stick, this year fair vendors will offer more than 60 varieties. Spaghetti and meatball on a stick begins with a mash-up of meatball mix and cooked spaghetti. The mixture is formed into balls, dipped in garlic batter, deep-fried, and finished with marinara sauce.


(See the rest at Delish)

27 comments:

  1. I would go for the Hot Beef Sunday. Might be a great way to trick the kiddo's into eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'd be able to finish eating any of this, but I'd take a bite from each one, except maybe the Krispy Creme Chicken Pattie. Kind of makes me wanna hurl just thinking about it :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only thing I'd touch is a funnel cake ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made my bottom gurgle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deep fried Coke sounds pretty good. Better than the deep fried beer that they had at the Texas State Fair last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd try most any of them -- except maybe the spaghetti and meatballs on a stick. Ewww.

    As long as it doesn't involve offal or internal organs of any kind, I'm game.

    I'd totally eat Key Lime Pie on a stick. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd probably try the deep fried coke, and I might try the hot beef sundae too, if I were really hungry. My two favorite fair foods are those giant elephant ears with the cinnamon sugar on them and caramel apples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why does nobody offer haggis? You could batter-dip that, put it on a stick and fry it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hot Beef Sundae made me giggle, but it's probably not bad at all. And the Pizza Cones are probably very similar to a Hot Pocket. Other than that, I'll pass. I often dream about Funnel Cakes, but your Tempest story cured any cravings I might have been having.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate funnel cake. I have to hold my breath if I pass a stand. I feel nauseated even just thinking about it, no twirly rides needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best thing I ever had at the fair was a deep fried oreo.....YUM...they dipped them in batter and fried them. they were all melty inside, it may sound gross, but they were yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ate fried butter at the Strawberry Festival last year and lived to tell about it. My fave is fried Twinkies though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to a local "4-H type" event with some friends and saw a couple of items I think could've gone on this list.

    1.) Cheesecake on a stick

    2.) Chocolate covered bacon

    3.) Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich

    @ heidi renée

    I suspect you have that reaction for the same reason I do to hotdogs. You got sick as dog eating them at one point, and either "redecorated" your shoes, or your undies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't remember ever trying a funnel cake actually. I can't get past the smell! But perhaps I've just blocked out the memory of the horrid event.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lefty...back in 89 when I was in Scotland as a missionary, I tried deep-fried haggis at a local chippy. Unbelievably revolting. Put me off haggis so completely I couldn't touch it for nearly 20 years.

    I would totally take a bit of all of these, and I've gone vegetarian. They look wonderful, particularly the fried Coke. Gaaahrhrahghaaahh..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, but was it on a stick? Might've made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've said for years that someone could make a very successful fast food restaurant by serving the food from the Renaissance Festival - but this stuff is several levels below that. I'm frankly surprised that no one's decided to just deep-fry globs of butter or shortening yet.

    Edit: My verification word: "expurt".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aries...my WF was "cough". Strangely apt.

    Lefty, no, it wasn't on a stick. You're right...it probably would've made all the difference! :)

    I used to work at the MD RenFest back in the day. The food was rather nice, much more welcome than what county fairs offer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy crap. I was kidding! I was at first even going to steal a joke from Bill Engvall and mention the full-size statue of Garth Brooks made out of butter, but it seemed far-fetched (not to mention too embarrassing to be stealing jokes from Bill Engvall). Now I realize, he wasn't joking. And they've got Tiger Woods and John Wayne, too. Yugh.

    Also, I've been going to the MD RenFest for longer than I care to admit now. I can't get enough of those giant turkey legs that taste like ham.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would eat anything involving a cream-filled Krispy Kreme. I'd eat two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aries, I probably tried to sell you something at a RenFest. For that, I'm deeply sorry. I worked on commission.

    ReplyDelete
  22. woodwoman said...

    I would eat anything involving a cream-filled Krispy Kreme. I'd eat two of them.


    Anything?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cam, I can't speak for WW but I'd eat one of those. We call them "long johns." Heh heh.

    (I'm just relieved it was something actually edible. When I click on links from you, Frank, and Lefty, it's always a crap shoot.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rich Girl Red said...

    (I'm just relieved it was something actually edible. When I click on links from you, Frank, and Lefty, it's always a crap shoot.)


    We can't help that we have dirty little minds and enjoy corrupting others through links.

    I do notice that you said you still click though, so that means there's hope that you aren't as innocent as you seem. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's quite all right, siress yorkie. I survived. Just.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cam Said…
    I do notice that you said you still click though, so that means there's hope that you aren't as innocent as you seem. :-)

    You think RGR is innocent?! Oh, no. She's naughty as they come, and needs a severe flogging.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails