Friday, March 11, 2011

Photos Of The Day: Rock Stars & Their Parents

Very cool. A LIFE magazine photo feature from 1971. Link at bottom to all the pics and interesting details about each.

LIFE: "They had fame, reams of money, and fans willing to do wild, unmentionable things just to breathe the same air — but in 1971, LIFE illustrated a different side of rock stars: Just like most of us mere mortals, they came from humble backgrounds, with moms and dads who bragged and worried about them every day."

"Everyone had told me that Frank Zappa was going to be really difficult, and he couldn't have been more professional," Olson says. As for Zappa's parents: "My father has ambitions to be an actor," Frank told LIFE. "He secretly wants to be on TV." His mom, meanwhile, thought Frank's career was fine and dandy, but envied something else about him. "The thing that makes me mad about Frank," she said, "is that his hair is curlier than mine — and blacker."

Elton John

David Crosby

Grace Slick

Eric Clapton

(See them all here)


  1. I think that the Sandwich lady in today's MPOTD used to live me, when I lived in MA. I'd see her walking her Doberman.

  2. That's why they call it ginger-vitis

  3. Fun '70's flashback with these. I always forget how goofy the fashion was back then.

    I can see why it was a "rare smile" for Ginger Baker. No excuse for someone like him to actually *keep* the meth mouth look. Yuck!

    "Ultimate Steel Erection" - awesome.

  4. Frank - I hope you didn't ask her for a sandwich.

  5. Cary, I was too afraid to ask her for step 1, much less the soup and sandwich.

  6. Don't you mean schtup and sandwich, Frank?

    "Ginger-vitis." Nice one, Cary.

    I'm pretty sure the "wild, unmentionable things" in question included brushing and flossing.

  7. I used to work with an older gentleman who had been a rocket scientist in CA. His neighbors were Frank Zappa and Mama Cass. He didn't like Frank, but loved his parents.
    When Ginger Baker lived in Denver he used to host polo matches and another friend of mine was the videographer.

  8. Those are really cool. I don't even think about Elton John having parents. He just... existed. Heh.

  9. Wow, that's one purple living room!

    The picture of Grace Slick dangling her screaming baby upside down is bumming me out.

  10. Grace Slick's mom dresses like the queen of England.

  11. Rad feature and rad pads! You can't top the Zappa's (lots of people would kill, darling, for that one now), but Crosby, Leitch, Dwight etc prove that it was hip to be square back then.

    All except EC's. Looks dour to me, despite Mum getting the silver out.



Related Posts with Thumbnails