Monday, March 14, 2011

Dessert Of The Day: Breast Milk Ice Cream

From SFGate.com and Daisy.

Breast Milk Ice Cream, Anyone?

An edgy London ice cream parlor called Icecreamists is dishing up ice cream made from human breast milk.

The flavor is named Baby Gaga, and today the shop posted a sign in its window letting customers know they had sold out of it. The unusual dessert, also made with Madagascan vanilla pods and lemon zest, is a huge hit with Londoners.

Babies love breast milk so why shouldn't everyone else?

Victoria Hiley, 35, of Leeds sold her milk to the ice cream shop after responding to an Internet ad. She was paid 15 pounds (about $24) for every 10 ounces of milk.

"What's the harm in using my assets for a bit of extra cash?," Hiley told the British Metro newspaper. "There's nothing more natural than fresh mother's milk."

So far 15 other woman have signed up to sell their liquid gold to Icecreamists. All donors must undergo the same health tests the UK's National Health Service requires when screening blood donors.


Last year, Manhattan chef Daniel Angerer tempted Americans with cheese made from his wife's breast milk. It wasn't received as well as Baby Gaga ice cream and the health department asked him to take the cheese off the menu at his Klee Brasserie restaurant.

Icecreamists owner Matt O'Connor, 44, doesn't understand why anyone wouldn't want to eat something made with breast milk.

"It's the most beautiful thing," O'Connor told the BBC. "It's oarganic. It's free-range. It's totally natural."

21 comments:

  1. I hear it's the tits!

    "Free range?" I would certainly hope so. I'd hate to think of some woman confined to one location and hooked up to a breast pump. (Oh, wait, that's how it is for all breastfeeding mothers! Never mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to step up on my breastfeeding soapbox and say that I don't see a thing wrong with this! I can see where it would make some squeamish, but really, I wouldn't put anything in a baby's system that I wouldn't put in my own. I don't admonish those who choose to feed their babies formula, as there are so many reasons that it's necessary and/or desired. I *totally* understand that!

    I'd definitely try it given the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do they do, make pregnant women sit in a freezer for an hour?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they should have called it "Nipple Ripple." :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gives a whole new meaning to the saying - "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nipplepolitan
    Cookie's Cream
    Cherries Boobalee
    Ya'Mama Almond Fudge

    ReplyDelete
  7. PATRON:
    I'd like some of the Madagascan vanilla in a cone, please.

    ICECREAMIST EMPLOYEE:
    Single or double?

    PATRON:
    Double D, please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While the idea of eating breast milk anything grosses me out, this story does make me wish I was still lactating. I could use the extra cash. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of men being able to lactate. Would y'all eat male milk ice cream? They could call it Man Cream, 'cause that wouldn't gross anyone out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, sure, people will eat ice cream made from a woman, but if a guy offers up some yogurt, people freak out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had this pointed out to me by some lactivists, and my response was, You have GOT to be kidding me.

    How carefully do they screen the milk for diseases, like Hepatitis and HIV?? I'm thinking probably no.

    No f*cking way would I ever eat ice cream make from some other woman's bodily fluids. Breast milk carries all the same crap that blood does...would you eat something made from someone's blood??

    Next bars will be offering beer brewed from crotch yeast. Why not? That's natural too, isn't it? Christ and niblets, people...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It IS sexism isn't it Frank? I'm burning my jock strap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chocolate chips will cost you extra! :o

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lefty, be sure and take it off first!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where were you 2 hours ago. Pardon me, I have to apply some salve.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SiressYorkie said...

    Next bars will be offering beer brewed from crotch yeast. Why not? That's natural too, isn't it? Christ and niblets, people...


    You're joking, but, uh yeah....

    Old article I know, but it is on point.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When someone posts something like Siress did, I always wait with bated breath for Cam to show up with this sort of thing. Thanks, Cam!

    ReplyDelete
  18. No problem lefty, more than happy to oblige.

    Seems like I have this stuff on the brain, but weird factoids and things like this seem to really stick for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lefty, at least you've probably solved that pesky crab problem.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, Frank, but I miss the tingling.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails