Friday, January 7, 2011

15 Songs You Didn't Know Were Covers (Of the Day)

From Buzzfeed. See the whole list here.

-Heidi Renée


"Torn" - Made popular by Natalie Imbruglia, originally by Ednaswap




"Tainted Love" - Made popular by Soft Cell, also covered by The Pussycat Dolls; originally by Gloria Jones




"Respect" - Made popular by Aretha Franklin, originally by Otis Redding




"Cum On Feel the Noise" - Made popular by Quiet Riot, originally by Slade




"I Love Rock and Roll" - Made popular by Joan Jett, also covered by Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus; originally by The Arrows




The rest are here.


13 comments:

  1. Wow, I really did not know some of these. Who originally did Two Mules for Sister Sarah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the name of all that is rock and roll are the members of Slade wearing? The lead singer looks like my aunt Helen's couch and the coif on the other guitarist? Mirror-ball accident?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have/had the dubious distinction of being one of three people in the country that owned the Slade vinyl LP that had Cum On Feel the Noise on it. I bought it for that song in particular. Just hearing it took me right back to college and the dorms. I am so old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool list! I've never heard the Arrows version of "I Love Rock 'n Roll." I liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought Quiet Riot sounded a lot like Slade, I just figured it was a Brit Rock thing. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. QR also covered Mama Weer All Crazee Now, also a Slade tune.

    I really liked the Slade version of Cum on feel the noize, though their spelling is dubious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this. Some of them I could even listen to at work! (amazing)
    The second version of many of them was a Profound Improvement.
    Good grief... who were "the Leaves" ?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see Slade's sense of atrocious seventies couch-cushion wardrobe style wasn't limited to the "Run Runaway" video after all.

    There's something oddly comforting in the consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could swear Tainted Love was from Depeche Mode.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, Tainted Love was Marilyn Manson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "To Make You Feel My Love" is by Billy Joel and covered by Garth Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shameless was by Billy Joel and covered by Garth Brooks. I'm seeing a trend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails