Monday, November 29, 2010

Dead Celeb Of The Day: Leslie Nielsen

Another good'un bites the dust. I wish we could pick the ones who got smote. Charlie Sheen's problems would be over.

'Airplane!', 'Forbidden Planet' actor Nielsen dies

LOS ANGELES – Despite decades spent playing sober commanders and serious captains, Leslie Nielsen insisted that he was always made for comedy. He proved it in his career's second act.

"Surely you can't be serious," an airline passenger says to Nielsen in "Airplane!" the 1980 hit that turned the actor from dramatic leading man to comic star.

"I am serious," Nielsen replies. "And don't call me Shirley.

"The line was probably his most famous — and a perfect distillation of his career.

Nielsen, the dramatic lead in "Forbidden Planet" and "The Poseidon Adventure" and the bumbling detective Frank Drebin in "The Naked Gun" comedies, died on Sunday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He was 84.

The Canada native died from complications from pneumonia at a hospital near his home, surrounded by his wife, Barbaree, and friends, his agent John S. Kelly said in a statement.

Critics argued that when Nielsen went into comedy he was being cast against type, but Nielsen disagreed, saying comedy was what he intended to do all along.

"I've finally found my home — as Lt. Frank Drebin," he told The Associated Press in a 1988 interview.

(story continues on Yahoo News)

Here's a clip from Nielsen's short-lived TV series, Police Squad!


  1. So it goes.

    I loved Police Squad. Nielson seemed like a really cool guy. Seems to me like he usually had a little fart sound maker in his pocket.

  2. I grew up watching Airplane and Police Squad and will miss seeing him in movies. I have a hard time imagining a serious funeral service for him. I can't picture his face without imagining a silly eulogy, hand buzzers, whoopi cushions, etc.

  3. Despite some of the wretched stuff that he appeared in late in his career (Mr. Magoo anyone?), I will always have a soft spot for LN. I betting $10 that his will states that "And don't call me Shirley" is included on his headstone. RIP.

  4. Thank you. I just had it stuffed.

  5. The man shaped my sense of humor.

    "You can't take a guess for another two hours?"

  6. "Like a blind man at an orgy, I'm gonna have to feel my way through."

    "Que sera sera. You do speak French don't you?"
    "Unfortunately no, but I do kiss that way."

  7. Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

    Sigh. RIP, Mr. Nielsen. Thanks for the laughs.

  8. He made a lot of people laugh and will be remembered long and well. That's a good way to go out, I think.

  9. "Is this some kind of bust?"

    "Yes, very impressive. But we're here to ask you some questions."

  10. "Good luck. We're all counting on you."

  11. I'm putting "Police Squad! The Complete Series" in my Netflix queue as we speak. I loved the silliness of that show way back when.

    Last summer I picked out "Airplane!" from the $5 bin at a certain chain store in preparation for a long drive from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon with my young cousins. I could only listen to the movie while I was driving, but it was great fun nonetheless. It really holds up well, much better than most spoof/satires today. My 4th and 6th grade cousins, seeing it for the first time, thought it was hilarious.

  12. "I'm single! I love being single! I haven't had this much sex since I was a Boy Scout leader!"

    [Music stops playing. Everyone stops talking and stares at him]

    [to everybody] "I mean at the time I was dating a lot."



Related Posts with Thumbnails