Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Scan Of The Day: 1977 Braves

One for the sports fans and long-time Atlantans.

I found this in an old box last weekend and it brought back such vivid memories. We went to Braves games all the time when I was a kid. The team sucked so tickets were cheap and good seats were always available. I saw Hank Aaron go deep, Chief Noc-A-Homa dance (we called him Pop-A-Bona), and Gene Garber end Pete Rose's 44-game hitting streak. I also saw two guys get in a fistfight in the men's room and one them end up in the nasty trough urinal.

Most of these players didn't have long careers, but I remember their names like it was yesterday. We'd wait outside the clubhouse exit after the game to get autographs. Some would stop and sign, others would walk right by like you weren't there, which was odd because there weren't more than 4-5 of us waiting.

One time I went to a game my Little League team and we sat directly above the visiting team's bullpen, which was on the field back then -- they all were. A pitcher was warming up and we all started yelling at him to throw us a baseball.

"Give us a ball! We want a ball!" we yelled, and kept yelling because he was ignoring us. This probably went on for 2-3 annoying minutes until finally, he stopped throwing and looked up at us.

"Give us a ball!" someone shouted. The pitcher smiled and grabbed his crotch. We howled, and he resumed his warmup.

Not the kind of ball we wanted, but whatever.

On a side note, I often wished my name were Biff Pocoroba. What a name.


13 comments:

  1. I grew up in rural south Texas and cable consisted of 13 channels and TBS was one of them. I grew up watching the Braves on the tube. Dale Murphy is my all time favorite baseball player. Too bad he will probably never make the Hall of Fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murph was only in his second year here, which is why they have him among the plebes instead of up with the big dogs who got larger photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Cary, just be grateful that you don't have the name Brian Asselstine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blast from the past, Cary! Where have you gone, Rowland Office???

    I grew up an Astros fan in south Louisiana, so the Braves were always rivals... and, of course, neither team was any good back then. I knew all these guys, too, and dozens of other bums just like 'em who populated the Astros' and Braves' rosters throughout those lean years.

    We saw Hank Aaron hit two homers in a game in the Astrodome one Fourth of July. I wrote to him after that, and he sent me an autographed photo -- this was a year or two before he broke Babe Ruth's record. All the programs and clippings I accumuated as a kid have long since disappeared, but I've still got my (worthless, well-worn) baseball cards and that Hank Aaron photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool memories. I grew up going to Old Memorial Stadium where the Orioles played. Which was in the WORST part of the Baltimore ghetto. Loved Cal Jr. and Eddie Murray. Never was in a men's room there, but saw many drunken women in the "ladies" room.
    My son played in the 2009 Cal Ripken World Series and got to meet and have pics taken with Cal. It was thrilling for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in Atlanta, lived in the general vicinity of Dale Murphy's house. Walked by it on the way to the drug store to bet my comic book and candy fix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gene garber's something of a local legend around here... despite the fact that we're all phillies fans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your story, Cary. That one made me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daisy, everything makes you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love baseball! That was a good story, Cary. I used to go to Giants games at Candlestick park with my dad, something none of the other kids got to do. I still remember being completely engrossed in the games and cheering for Willie Mays. Wore a black Giants baseball cap for a few years, until I got older and realized what a dork I looked like. My Willie Mays poster on my bedroom wall predated any rock stars or actors that came later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it just me or do half those guys look like they just took a major league drag off a bong before those pics were snapped?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice information given.Thanks for posting.

    Web hosting india

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails