Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Lost" Finale Tonight: Who's In The Coffin?

.

The season four finale of "Lost" is tonight at 9pm on ABC. One of the big questions that will be answered is the identity of the person in the coffin seen in last season's finale flash-forward. My initial hunch was Ben, since Jack wants desperately to return to the island, and Ben is the only person who can get him back there. Now, though, I'm leaning toward Claire. EW.com is sticking with Ben:

"Lost"'s Mysterious Cadaver
by Jeff Jensen


In last season's finale, a distraught Jack was the only attendee at a mystery funeral in L.A. Who will be revealed as the secret cadaver on this year's finale? We offer our tomb ratings (out of four coffins).


LOCKE
The former cubicle jockey lived in the L.A. area, so the locale fits. And his funeral wouldn't be a must for the Oceanic 6, whom he'd alienated with his zealotry. (When Jack asked Kate if she was attending, she shrugged, ''Why would I go to the funeral?'') But, wouldn't a newspaper announcement of the death of a newly discovered castaway attract the media?
Likelihood: 2 coffins


BEN
Jack said he was neither ''friend nor family'' to the deceased: Lost's biggest baddie fits. While it's unlikely Ben's passing would inspire Jack's suicidal thoughts, the ├╝ber-Other does represent McBeardy's best shot at his dream of getting back to the Island. Sayid — Ben's hitman for hire — would stay away lest the funeral might be a trap designed to kill him, too. Likelihood: 4 coffins


MICHAEL
As a witness to Widmore's Island invasion, he'd be a good target for ''silencing.'' The traitor would also earn Jack's tears, just because Michael knew the way to the Island. And with his ''Kevin Johnson'' pseudonym, his death wouldn't be media bait. But he was from N.Y., not L.A., and surely his grandmother and Walt would have paid their respects.
Likelihood: 3 coffins


CLAIRE
Now that Jack knows she was his half sister, news of her death would drive him to guilt-racked despair and renew his must-save-friends mission. Kate would steer clear because lurking near Aaron's real mom would invite suspicion. Oh, and since Claire is part of Jacob's ghost posse, she can transcend time, space, and all flaws in logic. Perfect, right?
Likelihood: 2.5 coffins

15 comments:

  1. I'm not thinking it's Ben. Michael's a good choice (what, no mention of Sawyer? Yes, he sort of falls into that Locke category, but...), so that's what I'll go with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for the Smoke Monster, though I would think that it would require either a much smaller or a much larger coffin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... or an ashtray!

    Notice they don't include Hurley. That coffin would not hold him.

    We've seen Ben in a flash-forward, although I realize the coffin scene is the farthest point in the future. Still, we've never seen Michael or Locke or Claire in any flash-forwards, have we? I find that curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An ashtray, indeed!

    Ben seems to be to obvious of a choice. How about Widmore? He's kind of an off-island version of Ben (i.e no friends), and he may have been Jack's last hope of getting back to the island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, Frank, could be Widmore. But unless Ben were already dead, I don't think Jack would be distraught about the news of Widmore's death.

    Could it even be Jack himself, what with all the time-travel hoo-ha? Not sure that would make sense though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe it could be Claire, as didn't Kate say, "Why would I want to go to HIS funeral"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unless Widmore moved the island, and Ben no longer knows where it is.

    Jack at his own funeral is an interesting thought, especially since Hurley thinks that they're all dead, anyhows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah. I always thought that looked like a kid coffin. So maybe Walt? Oooh, or maybe Lock but his legs got amputated or something and it was cheaper to buy a kid coffin. Er...um...did I say that out loud?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh crap, I never should have read this. We never got a chance to watch this until now, and we are still on Season 1. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think it could be Claire, as she "died" in the crash, according to the 6's story. I think it could only be one of the 6, or somone not with the crash - Ben, Desmond, or Michael(since he has a new life/name). Of them, who would upset Jack that way? I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  11. As much as I don't want it to be Ben, I suspect it is him.

    And it could be Michael. That's very, very possible. When he left NY, his mom and Walt seemed like they were distancing themselves from him. That would be why Michael's in California and no one is at his funeral.

    Hmmm. Looking forward to tonight's big show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, Kate -- I would not want it to be Ben (he's the best character on the show by a lot). In terms of the story, I think it makes the most sense for it to be Michael or Locke, and could only be Claire or Ben if they really wanted to throw us a curve ball and were willing to really reach to do so.

    But then, what do I know? I'm one of the masses who watches, misses half the details, and can't remember everything that happened last week, much less three seasons ago. So maybe there's all kind of evidence pointing to Ben or Claire (or Jack or the smoke monster) that I've just completely forgotten. You could have hung me by my toenails and I wouldn't have been able to tell you that both Ben's and Locke's mothers were named Emily...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah -- I also predict that Jack will continue to be absolutely insufferable. Some things never change...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Y'know, I really should follow my instincts more. If you'd have asked me last season, when we saw the coffin, who was in it, I'd have answered "Locke." Why? Can't remember - it was a year ago, damnit.

    So... how does he get off the island? It looks like we have a lot of flashbacks and flash-forwards in the next/last two seasons. Good stuff all around, and the best season since the first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have no clue what everyone is talking about.

    I need to start my own list:

    TV shows the entire world watches that I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails